The overall aim of the project is to improve education and awareness of services and supports available to older Torres Strait Islanders living in the community. It will involve the development and evaluation of a pilot Information Advocacy Hub, based in the Torres Strait Aged Care Association Inc. (TSACAI). It will also aim to:
- formally establish the Advocacy Resource sharing Community of Interest
- foster continued sharing and learning across aged care service delivery with a focus best practice advocacy processes.
- disseminate and translate information to other stakeholders including community and government organisations, and
- contribute to the evidence-base about Knowledge Translation systems and processes in advocacy awareness and engagement development among older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, within the broader national and international KT evidence-base.
“Gaps were identified in the initial research, so we selected information and efficacy as a research focus as so many people don’t know how, where or why to get services available to them. It’s about connecting older Torres Strait Islander people with the local community and government services available in their areas.”
– Brian Milburn, Business Manager and Project Lead