Established on 1 August 2022, in honour of the extraordinary legacy of the dedicated lifetime of work of Dr Lowitja O’Donoghue AC CBE DSG, the Lowitja O’Donoghue Foundation creates opportunities for advancement and change for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
The Lowitja O’Donoghue Foundation is a program within Lowitja Institute, Australia’s only national Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community controlled health research institute, named in honour of its Co-Patron, Dr Lowitja O’Donoghue. Yankunytjatjara woman Dr O’Donoghue is widely recognised as ‘the greatest Aboriginal leader of the modern era… the rock who steadied us in the storm’ – Noel Pearson
Dr O’Donoghue has entrusted the Foundation to carry forward her vision to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to create change through self-determined pathways that provide equality, empowerment, voice and action.
Next-generation voices are the change and the decision makers of now.
‘Stand up and be counted, we want to hear your voices’
Dr Lowitja O’Donoghue AC CBE DSG
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples create change through self-determination and pathways that provide equity, empowerment, voice and action.
We support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to strive for excellence and pursue their aspirations by providing life-changing opportunities and sharing inspirational stories that nurture, encourage, strengthen and educate.
- We believe that you can be all that you can see
- Education comes through truth-telling and stories of resilience and leadership
- We honour and respect the legacy of those who have gone before us
- Next generation voices are the change and decision-makers of now
- We empower with mutual understanding, co-operation and partnership
- Our community welcomes and builds respectful relationships for all