The Let’s Start project developed from an earlier project partly funded by the CRC for Aboriginal and Tropical Health, called the Tiwi Life Promotion Evaluation Project. This was the first attempt to adapt and implement a resilience-promoting intervention on the Tiwi Islands. The CRC for Aboriginal Health is now contributing substantial funding to an extension of the Commonwealth-funded project: Let’s Start: Exploring Together for indigenous Preschool Children (referred to here as Let’s Start).
The pre-school version of this project has been redeveloped for Indigenous pre-school and early primary school-aged children and their parents. The aim is to consolidate the research framework; extend the engagement of the Let’s Start project with the Indigenous community in Darwin and Darwin rural; to extend the engagement of the project with the health and community services sector, including child welfare; to develop materials and resources for Early Intervention in the Indigenous community, using learnings arising out of Let’s Start.
The program promotes positive parent–child interaction, improves children’s social and emotional competencies and helps build their capacity to negotiate the transition to school. The program is based on a manual that sets out structured activities for children and parents over 8–10 weeks of a school term, and is delivered by both Indigenous and non-Indigenous group leaders. About 40 schools in the Darwin, Darwin rural regions, at Jabiru and on the Tiwi Islands are now taking part in the program.
Summary of outcomes
Measured program outcomes to be:
- Improved parenting, reductions in parental anxiety
- Improved parent-child interaction
- Improved children’s social skills
- Reduction in identified problem behaviours as reported by teachers and parents
- Improved engagement of fathers/male carers
The Evaluation Report was launched on 17 March 2010.
- Promising Practice Profiles: Let's Start: Exploring together Indigenous Preschool Program PDF [1.1 MB] (Child Family Community Australia)
- Robinson, G., Tyler, W., Jones, Y., Silburn, S. & Zubrick, S. 2012, Context, Diversity and Engagement: Early Intervention with Australian Aboriginal Families in Urban and Remote Contexts, Children and Society, vol. 26, issue 5, pp. 343-355.
- Fact Sheet: Let's Start: Partnering with Families and Communities March 2010 PDF [3.7 MB]
- Fact Sheet: Enhancing the Social and Emotional Wellbeing of Aboriginal Children and Families March 2010 PDF [3.8 MB]
- Flyer for launch of Let's Start: Exploring Together Preschool Program Evaluation Report, March 2010 PDF [376 KB]
- Robinson, G., Zubrick, S. R., Silburn, S., Tyler, W., Jones, Y., D’Aprano, A., McGuinness, K., Cubillo, C., Bell, M. & Stock, C. 2009, Let’s Start: Exploring Together. An early Intervention Program for Northern Territory Children and Families. Final Evaluation Report PDF [1.2 MB], Darwin: School for Social and Policy Research, Institute of Advanced Studies, Charles Darwin University.
- 'Fresh funding allows Let's Start to grow', Wangka Pulka, December 2011 PDF [3.6MB], pp. 9–10.
- Let's Start page at Centre for Child Development and Education
- Let's Start page at Menzies School of Health Research