The Lowitja Institute National Roundtable on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Child and Maternal Health Research: Priorities for Interventions was held in Melbourne on 8 March 2012.
Some 40 people attended the Roundtable, including representatives from the Aboriginal community controlled health sector, government agencies, universities and research institutes. The discussions led to the development of a set of strategies and recommendations to address the key issues and knowledge ‘gaps’ identified by the Roundtable, grouped by the following themes:
- Theme 1: Using data to inform interventions, develop collaborations and improve health outcomes.
- Theme 2: Adopting a causal pathway approach to improving the health and educational outcomes of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children.
- Theme 3: Perinatal health – use of alcohol, tobacco and other substances and their impact on child development.
- Theme 4: Parental education and improved outcomes in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander maternal and child health.
- Child and Maternal Health Roundtable Report PDF [2.2 MB]
|Introduction||An Overview of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Maternal and Child Health Research in Australia PDF [293kB] |
Associate Professor Roz Walker, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research and The University of Western Australia
The power of data: data – policy – practice PDF [1.5MB]
|Theme 2||Adopting a causal pathways approach to improving the health and educational outcomes of Indigenous children PDF [921kB]|
Professor Sven Silburn, Menzies School of Health Research
|Theme 3||Alcohol, tobacco and cannabis – and their impact on child development PDF [203kB]|
Dr Megan Passey, University of Sydney
- Roz Walker (Coordinator)
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research and The University of Western Australia
- Kathleen Clapham
Australian Health Services Research Institute, University of Wollongong
- Lisa Shipley
The University of Newcastle
- Jennifer Reith
University of Western Sydney
- Rhonda Marriot (Facilitator)
Kulbardi Aboriginal Centre, Murdoch University, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research and The University of Western Australia
- Roundtable report pinpoints gaps in child and maternal health, Wangka Pulka, August 2012
- Child and Maternal Health Roundtable identifies priorities, Wangka Pulka, April 2012
- Project: Child and Maternal Health Initiatives
- Research roundtables
We would like to acknowledge the CAGES Foundation support for this body of work.