Ian Anderson, Fran Baum & Michael Bentley (eds) 2007, Beyond Bandaids: Exploring the Underlying Social Determinants of Aboriginal Health. Papers from the Social Determinants of Aboriginal Health Workshop, Adelaide, July 2004, CRC for Aboriginal Health, Darwin.
Beyond Bandaids is a collection of 16 papers from the CRCAH Social Determinants of Aboriginal Health Workshop held in Adelaide in July 2004.
The monograph presents a perspective on how social and economic factors affect Indigenous Australians’ health and coincides with a growing interest in the topic, as embodied in the establishment of the Commission on the Social Determinants of Health (CSDH) in 2005 by the World Health Organization. Beyond Bandaids suggests fruitful directions for further inquiry into how these factors can be made more health promoting. Authors (individuals and/or groups) reviewed the literature on particular factors and made recommendations for the evolving CRCAH Social Determinants of Indigenous Health research program, discussed in the conclusion of this monograph.
Chapters cover a range of topics, including Koori perspectives of the social determinants of health; education and its impact on health; material social determinants of income, poverty, employment and the physical environment; the less visible, but vital, aspects of social and emotional wellbeing, community development, effective means of governance, and the value of social capital; law and justice, including an overview of constitutional rights issues for Indigenous peoples and a case study of the Koori Court in Victoria; also aspects of culture as it impacts the health of Indigenous Australians.
You can download a full pdf version of Beyond Bandaids (ZIP 7.4MB) OR select an individual chapter from the list below.
- Table of Contents, Tables, Diagrams and Figures List PDF [473kB]
- Fran Baum, Michael Bentley & Ian Anderson, Introduction PDF [712kB]
- Ch 1 – Michael Tynan, Petah Atkinson, Lisa Bourke & Vicki Atkinson, ‘If You Don’t Have Health, What’s the Use of Living?’ PDF [1.2MB]
- Ch 2 – Joan Vickery, Shannon Faulkhead, Karen Adams & Angela Clarke, Indigenous Insights into Oral History, Social Determinants and Decolonisation, PDF [1.2MB]
- Ch 3 – Stephanie Bell, Bob Boughton & Ben Bartlett, Education as a Determinant of Indigenous Health [944.6kB]
- Ch 4 – Helen Askell-Williams, Michael Coughlan, Michael J. Lawson, Felicity Lewis, Rosalind Murray-Harvey, Kim O’Donnell, Judith Peppard, Phillip Slee & Simone Ulalka Tur, You Can’t Have One without the Other — Transactions between Education and Wellbeing for Indigenous Peoples PDF [1.7MB]
- Ch 5 – Maggie Walter, Aboriginality, Poverty and Health — Exploring the Connections PDF [1.1MB]
- Ch 6 – Diannah Lowry & Megan Moskos, Labour Force Participation as a Determinant of Indigenous Health PDF [1.1MB]
- Ch 7 – Kayli Wayte, Ross Bailie, Natalie Gray & Graham Henderson, Framework for Research on Aboriginal Health and the Physical Environment PDF [1.4MB]
- Ch 8 – Graham Henderson, Carrie Robson, Leonie Cox, Craig Dukes, Komla Tsey & Melissa Haswell, Social and Emotional Wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People within the Broader Context of the Social Determinants of Health PDF [1.3MB]
- Ch 9 – Danielle Campbell, Priscilla Pyett, Leisa McCarthy, Mary Whiteside & Komla Tsey, Community Development and Empowerment — A Review of Interventions to Improve Aboriginal Health PDF [1.1MB]
- Ch 10 – Patrick Sullivan & Katharine Oliver, Governance, Indigenous and Non-Indigenous, as a Social Determinant of Aboriginal Health PDF [1MB]
- Ch 11 – Mark Brough, Graham Henderson, Rosemary Foster & Heather Douglas, Social Capital and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health — Problems and Possibilities PDF [1.1MB]
- Ch 12 – Chris Reynolds, Genevieve Howse & Anna Beesley, Law as a Determinant of Indigenous Health — Some Constitutional Issues PDF [1.1MB]
- Ch 13 – Rosie Smith, Healthy Change at the Micro-Level — Victoria’s Koori Courts PDF [1.0MB]
- Ch 14 – Chelsea Bond, The Meaning of Culture within Public Health Practice — Implications for the Study of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health PDF [1.3MB]
- Ch 15 – Michael Morrissey, Rogelia Pe-Pua, Alex Brown & Ahmed Latif, Culture as a Determinant of Aboriginal Health PDF [1.1MB]
- Ch 16 – Heather McDonald, Culture in Health Research and Practice PDF [1.3MB]
- Ian Anderson, Fran Baum & Michael Bentley, Conclusion PDF [1.0MB]